Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The only constant is change

I am pretty sure that someone famous said that, but I am not really sure who. Regardless of that it is profoundly true. Not just in a yeah, we all think so kind of way, but in a soul rattling deep down undeniable knowing kind of way.

Everything changes, all the time.

Seasons change.
Times change.
Styles change.
Bodies change. (boy can I tell you!)
People change.
Hearts change.
Lives change.

Every day, every moment change is occuring. We can't stop it, we can only try to keep up with it and deal with it as best as we can.

Sometimes I think the last nine years of my life have been a whirlwind. It's gone by so fast, though everyday feels like eternity and not in a good way. Many of the changes that I have dealt with I was prepared for, but countless others I was not.

Now I am experiencing more changes, some of which are unpleasant, and unwelcome. Some are unexpected but good at the same time. My health is changing, much to my dismay. My marriage is changing. My attitude and outlook are changing. My heart is trying to change. I want to change, I want to be different that I am right now. I want some of what I have lost.

I know I will never get back to where I was, but I am hopeful that I can get to a better place than where I am now and better even than where I was.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm with you. Seriously. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Elaine said...

Life is such an interesting journey. It seems sometimes like even the rules change. But change is most often good. It means we are growing and learning. Thank you for sharing and for thinking and for letting us into that space.

Laurel said...

already added to my google reader.

And change is good...it means movement. The trick is moving forward and not backward...if you figure that out totally, blog about it (grin)

LOVE YOU

Logan said...

Good stuff.

Wood Gang said...

Love this post and love that I found your blog. You are amazing and one that I look up to for so many reasons. So glad for that unprepared day without and apple and powdered sugar!

Life is a continual learning lesson. I just went to a RS conference where a speaker referred to life as a School...getting our degree! Are we not here to obtain our "celestial degree"? Are we just showing up to class to be marked as present? Are we taking the correct classes for our degree? Are we studying what we need to be for "our test"?

It gave me a lot to think about considering my choices of classes, my choices of just "showing up" at times. You my friend are an example of what it means to "study your courses" to be prepared for your tests. You have shown me how important it is to be prepared for those unexpected "quizzes" in life. And how to learn and grow from those we were not prepared for. Thank you for sharing a bit of yourself with me and for finding the strength to now share with so many others. The hiding is done...the bluffing is weakening... you are amazing!