Thursday, January 20, 2011

Civilization

Define civilization. Sounds simple right? I don't think it is. In our day we think of civilization as lots of people, lots of technology and lots of conveniences. But for thousands of years it has meant something entirely different. The word has referred to a group of people choosing to live and work together towards a common goal, usually survival.

Yes, I have found something new to drown in. An eleven volume set of books called the Story of Civilization, by Will Durant. I bought this massive set of books, most of which near 1000 pages each, for David one year when he was really into history. Well, apparently he wasn't THAT into history, so they have sat on the shelf until I felt like I was mentally prepared for them and now to my joy, I am. So we begin.

With early people, i.e., Adam and Eve and descendants, the main occupation was hunting to provide food for the family. It was completely necessary to sustain life, as opposed to current times when Walmart hunts for us:)

We do our hunting by proxy, not having the stomach for honest killing in the fields; but our memories of the chase linger in our joyful pursuit of anything weak or fugitive, and in the games of our children-even in the word game.

Makes sense, doesn't it? Our society, at least here in the US, is so focused around games. Football, baseball, video games, etc, seem sometimes to hold a greater priority in people's lives than actually living. I have never really understood that. Probably because I grew up listening to my dad talk about how sports are just men(people)acting out their violent and warlike tendencies. You guessed it, he's not a sports fanatic. He is about staying healthy and encouraged us to go outside and play games, but organized publicized sporting events were not his thing. After having been married to a college football loving man for eleven years, I am still stumped. I watch my 10 year old son, while he watches football with his dad, throw his arms up and holler at the tv when something good happens, or something bad. He isn't mimicking his dad, they are like a synchronized team, who just happens to never have practiced their moves, but still are perfectly in sync. I'll be honest. I just don't get football. I know they are trying to get the ball from one end to the other. I even check a book out of the library from the kid's section to read and hopefully understand better as a way to show interest in what my husband loves. To no avail. Why is this play so great, but that one, which looked the same to me, so not great? Wow, so off track, the point is that there seems to be some kind of deeply subconscious ingrained need in some men/people, not all, to be a part of or watch the "hunt". Does that come from thousands of years of ancestors who lived and survived by hunting prey and occasionally enemies? Or is there some deeper spiritual need to survive, to endure and make it through and this is the only way they know how to express it?

I really don't know. Physical or spiritual? I would guess that it is a physical thing, though that would necessitate a very strong genetic indicator of good hunter versus lousy hunter and I don't know if there is any evidence to back that up. However since this is my own little world and I don't need to prove anything, I don't need evidence. :)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I love reading about what is going on in your mind! I often think about those same things, having been raised like you, but I still don't understand to need or desire to watch sports. I love to play some of them, but am no longer that interested in "winning"--old age I guess.

Thanks for always sharing, maybe some day, I will get motivated enough to put down what goes on in my convoluted mind.....

Elaine said...

Many years ago, I decided to understand football. I learned it first on a mattel hand held game that I think belonged to Holly. I became very intrigued and I faithfully watched college football for many years--probably at least 20. I even flew to Utah or drove to Notre Dame to watch BYU play. Then I began to lose interest and now I can almost always find something else to do. I don't like to see my team lose:-) And when they win I always think it's just temporary...soon they will lose again. I have no idea what this means but maybe Wendy is right. Maybe getting older takes away the desire to win? Not sure. And it sounds more like a woman thing than a man. But then men ARE the hunters. What a very interesting post, Karen. Thank you! I'm thinking...

tall dad said...

If you gave me 100 years, I would never consider thinking about sports, hunting and thinking about the meaning of life. I love your mind. Thanks for getting me to think this morning. I'm now going back to my TV football highlight reruns.